Saturday, March 29, 2008

Portrait Opinion

I enjoyed discussing this novel in class rather then reading it on my own. The best part of this was trying to figure things out, the confusions that Joyce puts into the work and the fun is working it all out. I think if I read this book again on my own I would appreciate it much more and enjoy it much more.

There were many themes within the novel thought that I really liked reading and talking about. For one, when Stephen is in the midst of inspiration and is working on a poem, I could relate to that whether it be in creative writing or if Im working on a song at home. You get in a frenzy of inspiration but then you could possibly lose it, and it is something that comes and goes without warning or cause and Joyce got this feeling across very well.

The guilt was also something that was intense and interesting to read about. Im sure most people have done something that they have been guilty for, probably not as drastic at the age of what Stephen did, but they still felt guilt. Joyce went into incredible detail in describing this feeling and putting guilt into words.

This novel reminded me a lot of Demian by Hermann Hesse, that book goes through a boys life but rather the guilt and emotions and idols that lead up to his finding of a God. He has the image of a pure women and the terrible guilt as well. Also nothing extremely exciting happens, it is mostly just him thinking to himself.

No comments: