Saturday, January 26, 2008

Player Piano Response

I have one major complaint in the novel Player Piano, and that is that Vonnegut seems to have complicated his issue too much. Of course I probably did not look deep enough into what he was doing, but still, the trading of Paul on sides, where he is a traitor, then a spy, it is all a blur to me now, but during the reading this seemed to detract from the power of the issue at hand.

I loved the idea of the novel, I believe the idea of it will be timeless and that is what will make it a classic. The issue of technology overtaking our lives will never die. People will always be searching for new ways to make our lives easier. I do not believe the situation will become as drastic as in the novel anytime soon. But the novel is probably more prevalent in our society today then it was when the novel was written.

I am a big fan of novels that stay focused, and Player Piano is not one of these. This does not mean I didn't enjoy the novel at all, because I did. But I think if the idea was more focused then the novel would become more powerful and get its message across with more force.

No comments: